In recent times we read a lot about child abuse, misbehaviours, molestation etc. Every now and then, we can watch this kind of news on television. Therefore, it is vital to teach your children about good touch vs bad touch. A child’s emotional, social, and physical development can be affected by inappropriate contact. Children need to know that they can talk to you if someone touches them in a way that makes them feel uncomfortable.
It is very important to create such an environment where we can talk about and discuss with our children about good touch and bad touch.
Many parents think that our child is too young to teach this, but as far as we look at today’s scenario it’s the call of the day to teach them how to differentiate between good touch and bad touch. It helps children better understand
How to protect themselves from abuse and it encourages open communication between parents and their children.
It’s not possible for parents to keep their children under constant monitoring to ensure their safety. When they are at school, a friend’s house or with a relative the knowledge of good touch and bad touch can help them in various ways. Parents should teach the following safety rules to their children.
- Teach children about the different body parts including their private body parts.
- Teach children that “their body belongs to them.”
- Explain to them that you must never touch another person’s private body parts even if an older child or adult asks you to.
- Discuss Early warning signs (EWS) i.e. sweaty palms, racing heart, sick tummy and to always act on your EWS.
- Tell a trusted adult straightway if you are touched on your private body parts, touched in a way you don’t like or your early warning signs kick in.
- Don’t keep secrets that make you feel uncomfortable. Instead, only keep happy surprises.
- Empower them to say NO .Teach them that if someone touched them in a way they didn’t like, tell that person to stop and to always tell either mom or dad.
- Use the swim suit rule-children should be told that if your swimsuit covers it, it’s a private area and no one should be seeing or touching that area. Tell a grown up if someone is touching you in the wrong places because it is a mommy and daddy’s job to keep you safe.
- Use books about good touch bad touch-Read book about the human body that show the skeleton, organs, and body parts.
- Teach them to be observant and aware of their surroundings. Beware of strangers.
- We should teach them about –
- Safe touches – These touches are good for the children and keep them safe like hugging, pats on the back or an arm around the shoulder etc.
- Unsafe touches – Explain to children that touches like pushing, kicking etc. that hurt children’s body parts are not okay.
“Be Strong, Be Brave And Always Speak Out.”
BY NIKITA KUKREJA
UC Kindies, Gopur Colony (Indore)